TokyoPoliceClub



So tell me what’s your Favourite Colour?
Tell me how’s your younger brother?
Tell me what’s the first record you owned?

Equipped with aloud and rhythmic blasts that resemble your heart pounding back in those good old times, if you what I mean. That's how the youthful guys from Newmarket, Ontario opened their 75-minute set at the El Rey Theatre in LA. Formed in 2005, this Canadian indie rock band got their big break at the annual Pop Montreal festival.


Lining up as early as 5.30pm probably cements my pseudo-fangirl status and it came with great perks:

First, a Grade A acoustic performance from Spencer MacEachern and the Fabulous Yawn.
Second, witnessing the TPC boys sound check before the show and played Nature of the Experiment for us. Sweet!
Third, watching the Freelance Whales performing Ghosting and Gen^2 less than 10 feet away from me. They sound so much better acoustic!
Okay the Fourth, this is a little tricky since a lot of people are kicking me for being such a total spaz. So the Fourth, while watching the multi-talented Whales with their banjo, xylophone, watering can, et. al., I noticed Josh Hook & Greg Alsop watching a mere 10 steps away from where I was standing. And what did I do? Nothing. It was as if they were regular bystanders. Case closed.


Outfitted with an infectious front man, Dave Monks (who by the way has the skinniest man-legs I have ever seen!), did not disappoint with his impressive vocal range and surely “happy to be back.” It is not a TPC concert without the sound of unison clapping of fans to “Tessellate” and “Be Good”.

Keyboardist Graham Wright, probably stole the show (and the hearts of girls, especially mine) in “Citizens of Tomorrow” with his crazy tambourine playing and wicked dance footwork. Even in the far back, Greg Alsop’s presence cannot be overlooked as his drum work completes the essence of a TPC song.


I was lucky enough to be situated in close proximity of Josh Hook, TPC’s enigmatic guitarist. Josh’s intense concentration never quavered throughout the set except for the occasional tambourine playing. I swear I thought I saw a drop of sweat slowly trickling down his face in slo-mo and he still continued playing like there was no tomorrow.


It was a little after 11pm when Tokyo Police Club started their set despite that, they are one of those exceptional bands that is worth every single dollar and should mosdef seen live. The boys were nice enough to perform a new song, “Top 5”, and I knew there was no stopping them.

P.S. I have crappy photos so photo credit goes to the lovely Liz Caruso

Answers: Purple | He's doing very well in college | I believe it was the New Radicals... I hope they make a comeback.

2 comments:

Anonymous | August 16, 2010 at 11:09 PM

Your entry makes me want to know more about TPC :)

Chrissete Agustin | August 17, 2010 at 6:43 AM

You have not shared with me how you handled yourself when you saw Dave Monks in person. Haha. :P

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails